Friday, September 26, 2008

Doppelganger

Today, after a long time, work was slow; and being a little fed up with some things at work; I decided to have some ‘me’ time and not do anything remotely productive for a change. From after lunch till the end of the work-day I scrolled through this blog and that (in case my boss is reading this: I actually worked very hard and everything I’ve said till now in this post is a complete lie and an attempt by my competitors to malign me.) and came across a blog entirely by accident that really got me thinking.

By itself the blog isn’t at all the sort that would get anyone thinking. It was a very self indulgent look into a young female college student’s life (though excellently written I must admit.) No, what struck me hard was the idea, that this was ME 6-7 years ago. Correction, this was someone I might’ve been. Same city, same university, same department, even – and I have a suspicion from one or two mentions, she lives in the same neighbourhood as well. She makes references to professors, syllabi, tests, that I was thoroughly acquainted with half a decade ago; and as I got more and more into it—the whole effect was surreal.

Our situations 6 years apart were identical. But, from the accounts of her personal life, she just seems to be doing more with the opportunities we both got. Performing in plays, a bit part in a Bengali movie, parties at Someplace else, hanging out with cool people, buying stilettos, loads of clothes…

I could’ve done all that, I thought. That’s what made me a little sad. Usually I make excuses to myself when I look at people leading very interesting lives...oh I didn’t live in that city, my parents weren’t in the performing arts, I’d say…it all went kaput with one random visit to a stranger’s blog.

Of course I’d like to say here, that she seems a mite taken with her cigarette smoking vodka drinking anti-authority self. I’ve never been guilty of self-satisfaction and have always been mature enough to see through most of the trappings of ‘coolness’; and have done all of the above without much ceremony. But I guess she’ll grow out of that with age.

And in the meantime, I’ll visit her blog now and then and live my early 20s over again, and enjoy vicariously the life I had but, to the most part, didn’t live.

3 comments:

Rashmi said...

she's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kaar blog're? sounds like comic relief to me, reading about this 'cool' young femme fatale!

Ushasi said...

Hehe, Rashmi...will send you the link by email. Don't want this to be a plug for someone else's blog.;)
Oh and thanks for the advice in my last post. Very true!

Unknown said...

ai who is this re? who parties at someplace else and buys loads of clothes and stilettos? shotti khub i "cooooool". but i am more than happy that you are back in business. accha ei blog er link ta amake pathash on chat, though i vow i'll always remain faithful to you